Riddle the King. Cross and Polish Kid.

Darren, a veteran hunter who hunts just outside of Sorrento, told the Preston Post that when he arrived at his deer-stand overlooking a shooting lane, he saw a large buck standing near the trunk of a fallen oak.

Darren set up for the shot and sent the bullet downrange, striking the deer in the neck. The deer ran into the woods, and Darren said he thought he heard it crash shortly after.

Darren began trailing the animal for about 15 minutes.  “The bastard didn’t get far before I found him, still alive, hunched on his hinds.”

Darren said the deer was facing him, a clean wound in his neck. When their eyes met, the hunter became the prey.

“It happened so fast. I was 20 feet away when the god damn deer lunged up from  his squatted position, and within one-tenth of a second, the fucker hit me.”

With an antler lodged in Darren’s thigh, the buck tossed him to the ground and began maiming him. “I knew I was in trouble then,” Darren recounted. “Before I could even get to my feet, that son-bitch was attacking me again.”

Darren paused, staring out the window. “I was lucky enough to grab his horns when he came down on me.  But I didn’t have the strength to hold on.”  Darren cringed recounting the details.  “I knew I had to protect my face, heart and lung area.”

As the struggle continued, Darren’s rifle strap became entangled in the buck’s antlers and to make matters worse, it was loaded with the safety off.

“I got to worrying, thinking maybe the gun was going to go off,” Darren laughed.

After several more charges, Darren said, the deer gave pause long enough for him to regain composure and on the next charge, Darren took control.

“When he came on me one more time, I twisted its neck trying to choke him or do anything — just trying to get the beast off me — with all my strength I pulled on him, and he actually did a complete flip over me and his horns stuck in the ground, in the cold dirt, for just a few seconds.”

That was the break Darren needed to put some distance between himself and the would-be killer.  Darren took slow gasping breathes, and the deer looked back at him, then ran into the woods toting his rifle.

The rifle was later found by Darren’s son, but the buck was never seen again.

Soaked in blood, Darren struggled to walk the 400 yards to his home. From there, he was flown to Baton Rouge and underwent surgery. Darren said he had more than 13 inches of wounds on his back, and a gaping tear in his thigh from the buck’s antlers.  The operation took more than 25 staples and an unknown number of stitches to close.

Stan Smith, deer program leader for the Mississippi Department of Wildlife and Fisheries said, “I’ve heard stories about wounded deer attacking hunters since I was a kid.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s