Hail Mary

Mary was a child
with a strong soul.
Her parents were a pair
of shoes.

In the morning a quite
couple would come and
put their feet inside of
Mary’s parents.

During that time
Mary played chess with a class mate.
She would check mate him
and he would check mate her.

Mary loved to tie
yellow ribbons onto
the spokes of bicycle tires.

When she was thirteen, she
took up wind surfing in the

She had her first lover when
she was sixteen.  He died in
the evening of her twentieth birthday.

At twenty seven Mary began to organize her
growing collection of fossilized moth bones.

Her parents both died on the day
she married Olga.

She was thirty then, worn around
the eyes, stiff in the back but
loose in the heels.

She’d never met a rose as red as Olga.

Mary sold her collection of fossils when
she was thirty three. She used the
money for her and Olga to
purchase a house in Riga.

Mondays in the Evening Mary went
dancing, and Olga tended bar at the
library in town.

On the weekends Mary and Olga
took up a tutelage in fence construction.

They learned many techniques of picket,
lattice, board on board and shadowbox.

On Mary’s thirty-seventh birthday the couple
opened a store in Latvia that specialized in
sky diving equipment.

On the second Thursday of every month
they ran a buy one get one special on

Olga loved to sky dive but was afraid of heights.

Mary loved heights but was afraid to skydive.

The store kept them happy.

Six months after Mary’s thirty-eighth
birthday they hired a gent named Toslov to
help build fences on the weekends.

Toslov was then a thin lad, but
exceptional with a hammer.

They never had a listing in the paper but
everyone in town knew to come to them if
there was a fence to be built.

For a few years the sky diving Equipment sold

Shortly after Mary’s forty-first birthday
Olga died.

Mary sold her interest in Jumpers.

She had the funeral Maine,
Olga would have loved it.

Mary sold the house and started
collecting fossils again.

She opened a grocery store named
Soy Division in Montpelier and
lived upstairs. Her grocer sold local
morel mushrooms, hops and salmon..

Toslov followed Mary to Vermont but
the two never spoke.

On Mary’s forty-ninth birthday she received
a letter in the mail that read:

Dear Mary,

I know that it has been years since we spoke,
but I had a dream where you and I were
standing at the edge of a living room.
In a house where we have never been,
their were rolls of toilet paper stacked from
floor to ceiling.

In my dream I could see how confused you
were. You just stood still, so perplexed.
Then I awoke feeling just as confused as
you must have been. I knew that I had to
tell you. I hope you are well, send
My love to Olga.


Mary wiped one tear away from her left cheek.
Mary sold Soy Division right before her
sixty Birthday.

She packed everything she owned in a
Honda Accord and drove south to Huntsville.|

(It took her four days, but she made it.)

For her sixty-ninth birthday Thornee
hosted an excellent birthday party.

All of their friends arrived wearing the most
fantastic outfits. They all laughed and shared
stories, and Mary was tired after just a couple
of hours.

Just before 7:30 Mary stood up and addressed
her friends with a speech.

“Good evening everyone. Thank you for coming out
to this beautiful afternoon that Thorbee has prepared
for us. It is a beautiful spring day and you are all
beautiful people. As I think back now, I can hear the
words that Olga would share with me often.

She would say:

If you have a shot,
jump out of a plane.
If you have a passion
organize and invest in it. And if you have
some money left over, buy yourself a nice pair
of shoes. And for the love of life:
treat your ice cream to cone, once in a while.

I knew that many of you think of Olga as often
as I do. At times this life seems both long and
short. Both happy and sad. My friends I have
found that this life is a lesson for the next.
A lesson from the ones that have come before.

I might not be as young as I was then, but I have
better friends now that I could have hoped for.
So let us all raise a glass, and toast to the ones
that are here today, and toast to all of those
who couldn’t make it.

Thornbee brushed her eyes with a cloth.

“Thank you again my friends.”

Mary took a drink from her cup,
everyone else followed.
The night carried on and everyone had an excellent time.

On the night of Mary’s seventy-ninth birthday.
She died
in Thornbee’s arms.

It was a soft and quite morning, and
Mary was ready, and Thornbee did
not cry. For the next seven years.
Thornbee stayed in that house.

Friends would come and laugh and
share stories of sky diving,
fossil collecting,
wind surfing and fence building.

There wasn’t a day that went by after Mary’s
passing that Thornbee did not picture
her rich and rugged soul.

Thornbee died on Mary’s eighty-eighth birthday,
it was on a quite morning in the middle of the week.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s